Sunday, February 19, 2012

The Language of Math

 Hi Everyone!


I have migrated to my new website www.theinstructionhub.com.


I hope you will join me there and follow me on Instagram and Facebook - @theinstructionhub


Thank you! Even if you are teaching the little ones, do not underestimate the power of the language of math.  A lot of times as teachers we are more focused on the process and less on the language involved in the process.  Sometimes the language is the "hang up" for some students understanding.  Teaching the "word part" (root) of a word, even to a first grader extends their learning! Here is one way I do this with my kiddos:



I teach the root -fract-/-frac-/-frag- meaning to break through the discovery method.  I show the students the pictures of fracture and fragment and ask them what they think happened.  We then look at the similar parts of the two words.  They then begin to connect that these mean to break, which is the perfect lead in to fraction- breaking a whole into parts.

Here is a sorting/review activity to go with this, you can download it here!



1 comment:

  1. Wonderful, Candi! Thanks for sharing these ideas. I miss working with you!

    Laney Sammons

    ReplyDelete